Saturday, July 13, 2024

What Is a Gateway Drug?

What Is a Gateway Drug? When I was ten, a policeman visited our school to talk about drugs. We knew very little, just that drugs were bad and were associated with shady characters in big cities. I recall this officer, a tall man with grey hair, explaining that drug addicts often started by smoking cannabis. We had no idea what that was. He showed us a block of dark brown substance, about the size of a chocolate bar, and said that at first, addicts would get high from cannabis. However, over time, they needed something stronger and turned to heroin. According to him, this led to instant addiction and a grim fate in some alley. We were convinced we'd never touch drugs. Years later, I was outside a pub, drinking beer. Drinking was normal, part of growing up. A friend lit a joint and passed it around. Though hesitant, I took a drag to fit in. Contrary to the policeman's warnings, I felt only a mild buzz. I decided smoking pot was harmless. I began smoking pot regularly with friends. We had fun and woke up feeling fine. One evening, while smoking pot at a friend's house, a new guy offered us speed. Curious, and already open to trying new things, I tried it. Soon, speed became part of my weekends. Eventually, I tried cocaine, ecstasy, LSD, and more, without much thought. The policeman’s message wasn’t entirely accurate. I didn’t progress from pot to stronger drugs because I craved more. I simply saw adults drinking and thought it was acceptable. Once I accepted one substance, it became easier to try others. It’s a slippery slope—cross one line, and others follow. Think of it like a teenage girl who ends up pregnant. She doesn’t suddenly decide to have sex. It starts with small steps: going to the cinema, holding hands, letting him put his arm around her. Similarly, in every situation where I tried a new drug, I was with people I trusted. A friend would bring something new, and in a relaxed, familiar setting, I’d try it. A gateway drug is one you take despite knowing it’s wrong. This first violation of your integrity can lead to more. It’s like your first beer, which you drink even though it tastes awful, just to fit in. Or your first cigarette, which makes you sick, but you hide it. We don’t want to be laughed at or feel out of place, so we go along with it. Once you start, it’s easier to continue. I’m not saying everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic, or everyone who smokes a joint ends up on hard drugs. But every alcoholic began with a first sip, and every hard drug addict started with a softer drug. This isn’t a sermon against drugs or alcohol. But drugs are everywhere, and you will encounter them. I hope my story helps you make the right choice when faced with that first offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home